“Celebrating Black Cultural Heritage of the Past to Create Bright Possibilities of the Future” is the mission of the G.A.R. Post #25, Inc. The corporation has been formed for the following purposes:
- to receive and administer funds to acquire and restore and maintain the exterior and interior of the G.A.R. Post #25, Inc. building – one of only two existing African American G.A.R. buildings left standing in the United States;
- to serve as a museum by displaying historic artifacts related to African American soldiers’ participation in the U.S. Civil War and their lives at home during this historical period;
- to develop and offer programs that emphasize the heritage of Kent County Maryland’s African American Community, including but not limited to: civic meetings, educational programs, artistic and cultural displays, musical and dramatic performances, historical lectures and community celebrations;
- to conduct research about and preserve historic artifacts related to African American soldiers’ participation in the Civil War and these historical times; and
- to offer educational and charitable programs that meet the needs of current members of the community.